Thursday, September 20, 2007

Color and Composition


We just started carrying work by Traverse City artist Carol Spaulding. I've long admired her pastel paintings for their vibrant color combinations and interesting compositions. Her work has a meditative, almost ethereal quality, with a truly original take on landscapes.

“I’m more interested in expressing a feeling than recording something and having it look like what it is,” she said in a 2006 interview with the Glen Arbor Sun. “I really love working with color and not sticking with just trying to put down the color that I was really seeing, to be a little more imaginative.”

“I think that being an artist really tweaks one’s powers of observation. I feel like I’m looking at things more intensely, and sort of with a purpose, because I’m always thinking about responding and expressing something from what I’m seeing,” she said.

Gallery Fifty is showing a fine selection of Carol's work, including "Leelanau Morning," (top) 12" x 6" framed and priced at $625; and "On the Road," (right) 6" x 6" at $650. Stop into Gallery Fifty for a closer look: 800 Cottageview Drive, Suite 50, Traverse City, MI 49684.